About Me

My photo
Thanks for visiting! My name is Lori and I am married to my high school sweetheart and have 2 beautiful girls. What is 'Life With Sugar & Spice'? It's a blog where I will share everything from my faith in Jesus Christ and my girls (sugar and spice) to thrifting and decorating! I started it as a way to showcase our everyday life to family out of town!
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Keeping it Simple

Since getting over my pity party that I discussed here, I'm happy to report that my attitude has changed!

I'm so thankful for God's unfailing grace. His patience with me. How he can show me what I really need to be doing.

I've been praying that God would help me focus on the birth of Christ and find ways to make the season more memorable than what's under the tree. Or what's not under the tree.  I'm a slow learner so it has taken me time.

In fact, I'm thinking that next year our Christmas may look the same.  Whether the Hubs has a job or not.  I've been wrestling with the sad commercialization of Christmas.  The amount of money wasted on "stuff."  I have a few friends that have radically changed the way they do Christmas and I am eager to do the same. I read this article posted by a dear friend on facebook that rocked my world!

I want us to give more.  To serve more. And to buy less.

 So, here's a list of ways we're keeping it simple...ways we're focusing on Christ, the real reason we celebrate.  Some of these things we've done all ready, some are still to come:

* Obviously, with no income, we're keeping gifts to a minimum.  We have always kept gifts to 4 total.  A need, want, and spiritual gift.  And there's the Santa gift (#4).  I know, I know....we started it and so we'll continue until the youngest, well you know.  We have been blessed by some amazing friends who have helped us purchase a few gifts of mostly needs for the girls.

* Serving those in need.  We all ready sponsor a Compassion child.  We will write letters to her this month.  We will also participate in our church Giving Tree and I plan to find ways to serve at MUST ministries.

* Using Scripture Adventures curriculum called, Christmas Adventures.  Each day we read a verse and find out where some of our Christmas traditions originated and how they point us to Jesus.

* Making a Jesse Tree from the website A Holy Experience.

* Attending Back to Bethlehem event.  An event that recreates the city of Bethlehem at the time of Jesus' birth.

* Attending Johnson Ferry Baptist's Christmas Packages.  Though the girls are nearing the age of being too old for this one, it has fun activities and crafts for the family.

* We have a few parties to attend with friends and at the girls' school.

* We'll be watching movies, making cookies and crafts.

What I'm not doing is fussing over my decorations, or trying to make too many goodies.  I'm not worrying about who I can't buy a gift for. I'm not filling every day with an activity or a place to go. 

With the Hubs home, I've been trying my best to enjoy time with him.  To relax and just let each day contain what it may.  Some days I'm great at it, and some days I fail.  Thankfully, each day is new and I get a do-over!

It has been such a blessing to all be home together. Though I wish the circumstances were different, I wouldn't give up this extra family time for the world!

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, you just described the perfect Christmas. I too get really irritated with all the Christmas craziness. Simplicity is what makes it so special. Our kids each got 1 gift from us this year... And 2 new siblings:) it was the best Christmas ever!

    ReplyDelete